Correlates of Crime: A Study of 52 Nations, 1960-1984 (ICPSR 9258)
Principal Investigator(s): Bennett, Richard R.
This collection contains data on crime and on relevant social, economic, and political measures hypothesized to be related to crime for 52 nations over a 25-year period. These time-series data are divided into five substantive areas: offense, offender, and national social, political, and economic data. Nations included in the collection were drawn from seven major regions of the world.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are freely available.
Bennett, Richard R. CORRELATES OF CRIME: A STUDY OF 52 NATIONS, 1960-1984. Washington DC: Richard R. Bennett, The American University [producer], 1987. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1990. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09258.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09258.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Global
Date of Collection:
Universe: All nations in the world.
Data Types: aggregate data
Sample: This is not a random sample, but the 52 nations in the collection were drawn from the seven major regions of the world and represent a wide range of levels of development, types of economy, political environments, and criminal justice system structures. Three criteria for selecting the sample were employed: (1) the nation had to be a member of INTERPOL between the years 1960 and 1984, (2) the nation had to report crime data to the Secretariat of INTERPOL between the years 1960 and 1984, and (3) the nation could skip no more than three of INTERPOL's two-year crime data reporting periods.
(1) International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), (2) the United Nations, (3) the World Bank, (4) the International Monetary Fund, and (5) other national and international sources
Original ICPSR Release: 1990-03-02
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~12 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)