Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-1987 (ICPSR 9210)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection provides annual data on prisoners under a sentence of death and on prisoners whose sentences were commuted or vacated. The data furnish basic sociodemographic classifications including age, sex, race and ethnicity, marital status at time of imprisonment, level of education, and state and region of incarceration. Criminal history information includes prior felony convictions, prior convictions for criminal homicide, and legal status at the time of the capital offense. Additional information is provided on those inmates removed from death row by yearend 1986, inmates receiving a second capital punishment sentence in 1987, and inmates who were executed.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-1987. ICPSR09210-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-11-12. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09210.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09210.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons in the United States under sentence of death between 1973 and 1987.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Information in this dataset collected prior to 1972 is in many cases incomplete and reflects vestiges in the reporting process. (2) Users should note that Part 1, the Combined File contains duplicate identification numbers due to changes in the status of some inmates. These identification numbers were assigned by the Bureau of the Census and have no purpose outside this dataset.
"Report of Inmates Under Sentence of Death," a data collection sent to state and federal prisons
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-09-26
- 2008-11-12 Minor changes have been made to the metadata.
- 2008-10-30 All parts have been moved to restricted access and are available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 1997-05-30 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)