Dangerous Sex Offenders: Classifying, Predicting, and Evaluating Outcomes of Clinical Treatment in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, 1982-1985 (ICPSR 8985)
Principal Investigator(s): Prentky, Robert; Knight, Raymond
The purpose of this data collection was to validate two classification systems, one for rapists and one for child molesters, used in a Massachusetts treatment center for sexually aggressive offenders. Rapists and child molesters were classified as two types of sex offenders and then clinically classified into subtypes based on criteria for the two taxonomies being tested. Variables include type of traffic offenses, criminal offenses, and sex offenses charged. Data on disposition of cases are also provided, along with parole and discharge information. Offenders' post-release offenses were categorized into traffic offenses, nontraffic offenses, and sex offenses.
These data are available to the general public.
Prentky, Robert, and Raymond Knight. DANGEROUS SEX OFFENDERS: CLASSIFYING, PREDICTING, AND EVALUATING OUTCOMES OF CLINICAL TREATMENT IN BRIDGEWATER, MASSACHUSETTS, 1982-1985. 2nd ICPSR version. Boston, MA: Boston University [producer], 1985. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08985.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08985.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (NIJ 82-IJ-CX-0058)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Bridgewater, Massachusetts, United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All sex offender cases referred to a treatment center in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, for intensive observation and then released.
Data Types: clinical data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook and data collection instrument for this collection are provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Website.
Sample: Of the 1,500 sex offender cases that were referred to a treatment center in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, for intensive observation during 1982-1985, 500 were committed and became treatment patients. Of these patients, 270 were released after varying lengths of treatment and were selected as the sample in the study.
Records from a Bridgewater, Massachusetts, treatment center for sexually aggressive offenders, FBI records, Department of Corrections records, and public safety records
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-01-10
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2000-10-05 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. The data were reformatted to change the date variables from SPSS stored format to a month and year format that is not specific to any statistical package. A revised codebook, including a data completeness report, was created for the reformatted data file and original hardcopy documentation from the principal investigators was converted to PDF.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~25 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.