Alternate Title: NYS 1979
Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the fourth wave of the National Youth Survey
are contained in this data collection. The first wave of this survey
was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375), the second wave in 1977 (ICPSR
8424), and the third wave in 1978 (ICPSR 8506). Data are available in
this wave on the demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents,
disruptive events in the home, youth aspirations and expectations,
social isolation, normlessness, perceived disapproval by parents and
peers, attitudes toward deviance, exposure and commitment to delinquent
peers, sex roles, interpersonal violence, pressure for substance abuse
by peers, self-reported delinquency, drug and alcohol use, and
National Youth Survey (NYS) Series
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave IV, 1979. ICPSR08917-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-09-10. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08917.v2
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08917.v2
- RIS (generic format for RefWorks, EndNote, etc.)
- EndNote XML (EndNote X4.0.1 or higher)
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552,)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (78-JN-AX-0003)
Scope of Study
health services utilization,
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation:
Youths in the United States.
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
National sample of the American youth population selected
by area probability sampling.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of
disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major
statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to
these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
Performed consistency checks.
Standardized missing values.
Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: Users are reminded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that these data are to be used solely for statistical analysis and reporting of aggregated information and not for the investigation of specific individuals or treatment facilities.
Original ICPSR Release: 1988-10-25
- 2008-09-10 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
- List all
citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
Knight, Kelly E.,
Henry, Kimberly L.,
Testing the role of aspirations, future expectations, and strain on the development of problem behaviors across young and middle adulthood
Full Text Options:
Export Options: RIS/EndNote
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.