Relationships Between Employment and Crime: A Survey of Brooklyn Residents, 1979-1980 (ICPSR 8649)
Principal Investigator(s): Thompson, James W.
The study was designed to explore the relationship between employment and involvement with the criminal justice system. Males arrested primarily for felony offenses were interviewed at the central booking agency in Brooklyn, New York, at the time of their arrests in 1979. A subsample of 152 arrestees was reinterviewed in 1980. The data include information on labor market participation, arrests, periods of incarceration, and the respondents' demographic characteristics. The labor market information spans a two-year period prior to those arrests. Arrest history and other criminal justice data cover the two years prior to arrest and one year following the arrest. Additional variables supply information on employment and occupation, social and neighborhood characteristics, and perceptions of the risk of committing selected crimes.
These data are available to the general public.
Thompson, James W. Relationships Between Employment and Crime: A Survey of Brooklyn Residents, 1979-1980. ICPSR08649-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08649.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08649.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (81-IJ-CX-0024)
Scope of Study
Universe: Males arrested predominantly for felony offenses and residing in Brooklyn during July and August 1979.
Data Types: event/transaction data, survey data
personal interviews and arrest records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-02-26
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-05-20 The data have been reformatted and are now distributed in logical record length format only. SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been prepared, and the codebook is available as a Portable Document Format file.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)