A Sentencing Postscript: Felony Probationers Under Supervision in the Community, 1983 (ICPSR 8647)
Principal Investigator(s): Cunniff, Mark A.; National Association of Criminal Justice Planners
This study provides an overview of how the supervision of a class of felony probationers operates in a jurisdiction, and gives a baseline against which the impact of changes to probationary supervision can be measured. The objectives of this study were to describe the demographic characteristics of probationers, the nature and level of supervision that probationers receive, the extent and types of specified conditions imposed on probationers, the degree of probationer compliance with these specified conditions, the extent to which probationers are arrested and/or subjected to probationary disciplinary hearings while under supervision, and the exit status of probationers from community supervision.
These data are freely available.
Cunniff, Mark A., and the National Association of Criminal Justice Planners. A SENTENCING POSTSCRIPT: FELONY PROBATIONERS UNDER SUPERVISION IN THE COMMUNITY, 1983. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08647.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08647.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (82-BJ-CX-K046)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Convicted adult felons sentenced to probation for the crimes of homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, and drug trafficking.
Data Types: survey data, and event/transaction data
Sample: Sampling rates varied by type of crime and jurisdiction, with the desired goal of 30 cases for each type of crime in each of the jurisdictions.
official court records, and self-enumerated forms
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-06-26
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-04-22 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)