Census of State Adult Correctional Facilities, 1984 (ICPSR 8444)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This study provides a descriptive analysis of confinement facilities and state-operated community-based correctional facilities nationwide. Decision-makers, practitioners, and researchers may use the census to analyze the current conditions and needs of state correctional facilities for adults. Variables of interest include physical security, age of facilities, functions of facilities, programs, inmate work assignments, staff employment, facilities under court order/consent decree for conditions of confinement, capital and operating expenditures, custody level of residents/inmates, one-day and average daily population counts, race/ethnicity of inmates, inmate work assignments, inmate deaths, special inmate counts, and assaults and incidents by inmates. The institution is the unit of analysis.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. CENSUS OF STATE ADULT CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES, 1984. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08444.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08444.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (adults), corrections, corrections management, inmate deaths, inmate populations, inmate programs, inmates, jails, personnel, prison administration, prison conditions, prison construction, prison overcrowding, prison security, prison violence
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All United States correctional facilities staffed and administered by state employees, primarily for state prisoners, operational on June 30, 1984, and functionally distinct in a separate physical location under the administration of their own warden, superintendent, director, or other administrator.
Data Types: census enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
Limitations on capital expenditures, race, ethnicity, and population movement exist in the data and are documented thoroughly.
official state prison records
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-01-12
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-04-22 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
- View publications for the study (~17)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)