National Indigent Criminal Defense Survey, 1982 (ICPSR 8417)
Principal Investigator(s): Abt Associates
This survey was conducted to provide national-level data on basic information such as system types, funding sources, costs, and caseloads of indigent defense programs for defense practitioners, policymakers, and planners in the criminal justice system. The goal of the survey was to provide data that could begin to answer questions regarding the nature and scope of indigent service delivery. Specifically, the three basic objectives were to provide descriptive data, to assess the level of response to defense service delivery requirements, and to facilitate further research.
These data are freely available.
Abt Associates. National Indigent Criminal Defense Survey, 1982. ICPSR08417-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08417.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08417.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Indigent defense programs in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Stratified random sample based on county population size, as reported in the 1980 Census of Population.
- Standardized missing values.
Original ICPSR Release: 1986-06-06
- 2006-03-30 File CB8417.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1999-02-17 Each of the three data files has been completely reprocessed to logical record length format. Also, the codebooks for each file have been combined into a single PDF codebook covering all parts. The SPSS data definition statements have been updated to reflect the changes, and SAS data definition statements have been added.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)