Penal Code Citations: Sentencing in 18 American Felony Courts, 1983 (ICPSR 8396)
The purpose of this study was to describe sentencing outcomes in 18 jurisdictions across the United States based on sentences actually imposed on adjudicated felons. Such descriptive information provides an overview of how sentencing is operating in a jurisdiction as a whole and supplies a baseline against which the impact of changes in sentencing codes and practices can be assessed. The data focus on sentences handed down in courts of general jurisdiction for selected crimes of homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, theft, and drug trafficking.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
Cunniff, Mark A. PENAL CODE CITATIONS: SENTENCING IN 18 AMERICAN FELONY COURTS, 1983. Conducted by the National Association of Criminal Justice Planners. 3rd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08396.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08396.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (82-BJ-CX-KO46)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
There are no data files for Jurisdictions 3 and 16.
court and prosecutorial records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-10-09
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-04-14 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated. In addition, multiple copies of the codebook were consolidated into one volume, and an incorrect variable number was fixed in the codebook.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.