National Corrections Reporting Program, 1983 (ICPSR 8363)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This study was conducted to provide a consistent and comprehensive description of convicted persons' entrance into and departure from correctional custody and correctional supervision. To accomplish this goal, data were gathered from official state prison records on topics such as race, sex, and age of inmates, length of time in jail, length of time in prison, and type of offense committed. The data were collected from the state prison systems of 32 states.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
These data are available to the general public.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Corrections Reporting Program, 1983. ICPSR08363-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-04-23. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08363.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08363.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional system, demographic characteristics, jail inmates, national crime statistics (USA), offenders, offenses, parole, prison inmates, probation, state correctional facilities
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons incarcerated in prisons in the United States.
Data Types: administrative records data, event/transaction data, survey data
Sample: All persons incarcerated in state prisons in 32 states.
official prison records of prisoner population movement
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1986-06-06
- 2010-04-23 The entire NCRP series is being re-released in restricted format.
- 2006-01-18 File SP8363.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File SA8363.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB8363.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 1997-08-01 The data have been checked for wild or invalid codes, and the codebook and SAS and SPSS data definition statements now document these codes. In addition, the codebook is now available as a PDF file only, and the variable and value labels have been expanded. The data file comprising the former Part 1, which was a concatenation of Parts 2, 3, and 4, has been removed and the parts have been renumbered.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~32 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.