National Crime Surveys Extract: Personal Crime Longitudinal Files, 1976-1982 (ICPSR 8315)
Principal Investigator(s): Innes, Christopher A.
The National Crime Survey (NCS) collects data on personal and household victimization through an ongoing national survey of households and household members. Only data for robbery and assaults are included in this dataset. There are two data files: Assault Victim Experiences, and Victim and Non-Victim Responses. Items included are time and place of occurrence, injuries suffered, medical expenses incurred, number, age, race, and sex of offender(s), relationship of offender(s) to victim, marital status, employment, military experience, and residency.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Innes, Christopher A. National Crime Surveys Extract: Personal Crime Longitudinal Files, 1976-1982. ICPSR08315-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08315.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08315.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Persons aged 12 years and older living in households in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: A stratified multistage cluster sample was selected.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-05-24
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)