Juvenile Delinquency and Adult Crime, 1948-1977 [Racine, Wisconsin]: Three Birth Cohorts (ICPSR 8163)
Principal Investigator(s): Shannon, Lyle W.
This data collection contains information on juvenile delinquency and adult crime for three birth cohorts born in 1942, 1949, and 1955 in Racine, Wisconsin. These individual-level data are organized into three basic types: police contact data for the three cohorts, interview and contact data for the 1942 and 1949 cohorts, and contact data classified by age for all three cohorts. The police contact data include information on the type and frequency of police contacts by individual as well as the location, date, and number of the first contact. The interview datasets contain information on police contacts and a number of variables measured during personal interviews with the 1942 and 1949 cohorts. The interview variables include retrospective measures of the respondents' attitudes toward the police and a variety of other variables such as socioeconomic status and age at marriage. The age-by-age datasets provide juvenile court and police contact data classified by age.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are freely available.
Shannon, Lyle W. Juvenile Delinquency and Adult Crime, 1948-1977 [Racine, Wisconsin]: Three Birth Cohorts. ICPSR08163-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1994. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08163.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08163.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (84-IJ-CX-0013)
Scope of Study
Universe: All children born in Racine, Wisconsin, in 1942, 1949, and 1955.
Data Types: event/transaction data
personal interviews, and police and court records
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-13
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- View publications for the study (~47)
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)