Citizen Participation and Community Crime Prevention, 1979: Chicago Metropolitan Area Survey (ICPSR 8086)
Principal Investigator(s): Lavrakas, Paul J.; Skogan, Wesley G.
This survey was conducted as part of the Citizen Participation and Community Crime Prevention project at the Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research, Northwestern University. The project was conducted to gain a deeper understanding of the wide range of activities in which the American public engages to be secure from crime. In particular, this survey was designed to identify the scope of anti-crime activities and investigate the processes that facilitate or inhibit the public's involvement in those activities. The geographical area for the survey was defined by the "commuting basin" of Chicago, excluding several independent cities and their suburbs (e.g., Aurora, Waukegan, and Joliet) on the northern and western fringes of that area, and excluding all areas in Indiana. Interviewing was carried out by the Survey Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois during June through August 1979. Information was gathered on people's opinions toward safety, their involvement with crime prevention activities, and the quality of life in their neighborhoods. In addition, data were assembled from Census Bureau and police reports for each community area in which respondents lived in the years immediately preceding the survey.
These data are freely available.
Lavrakas, Paul J., and Wesley G. Skogan. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION AND COMMUNITY CRIME PREVENTION, 1979: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA SURVEY. Conducted by Northwestern University, Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. doi:10.3886/ICPSR08086.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08086.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (78-NI-AX-0111)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: Adults 18 years and older in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: A modified random-digit dialing with enrichment procedure was used to generate a total of 5,346 prospective sample numbers in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-12
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-09-26 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. Also, a reformatted logical record length data file is now available.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~16 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)