Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This census, designed by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and conducted by the United States Census Bureau, includes all state correctional facilities known to the Census Bureau in 1979. Each facility is classified into one of ten categories such as community center, prison farm, road camp, or reception center. Data for 1979 include number of inmates by security classification and by sex, number of full- and part-time staff, number of paid and volunteer staff broken down by position, age, pay, and education, number and age of facilities, type of facilities provided in each cell by size of cell, hospital facilities available, programs provided for the inmates, job training, and inmate IQ scores.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. CENSUS OF STATE ADULT CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES, 1979. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07852.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07852.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (adults), corrections, corrections management, inmate classification, inmate deaths, inmate populations, inmate programs, inmates, jails, personnel, prison administration, prison conditions, prison construction, prison overcrowding, prison violence
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: State adult correctional facilities in 1979 in the United States.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection and the SPSS data definition statements have been updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)