Juvenile Detention and Correctional Facility Census, 1979 (ICPSR 7846)
The 1979 Juvenile Detention and Correctional Facility Census is the sixth in a series of surveys of state and local public residential facilities in the juvenile justice system. There is one record for each juvenile detention facility that had a population of at least 50 percent juveniles. Each record is classified into one of six categories: detention centers or shelters, reception or diagnostic centers, training schools, ranches, forestry camps and farms, and halfway houses and group homes. Data include state, county, and city identification, level of government responsible for the facility, type of agency, agency identification, resident population by sex, age range, detention status, and offense, admissions and departures of population, average length of stay, staffing and expenditures, age and capacity of the facility, and programs and services available.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, and United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Juvenile Detention and Correctional Facility Census, 1979. ICPSR07846-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-12-11. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07846.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07846.v3
Scope of Study
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census
questionnaires filled out by juvenile detention facilities
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2007-12-11 The data file was updated to include ready-to-go files and the ASCII codebook was converted to PDF format.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-25 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection and the SPSS data definition statements have been updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.