Principal Investigator(s): National Center for State Courts
In 1977 the National Center for State Courts, in cooperation with the National Conference of Metropolitan Courts, began a research and demonstration project on the delay in processing criminal cases in major metropolitan courts. The objectives were (1) to determine the scope and extent of the delay in such courts, (2) to identify factors associated with the delay, and (3) to suggest and ultimately test techniques that might work to reduce the delay. The variables include geographic location, disposition type, most serious charge against the defendant, and dates of arrest, trial, disposition, and sentencing.
These data are freely available.
National Center for State Courts. CRIMINAL CASE PROCESSING IN METROPOLITAN COURTS, 1976. Conducted by the National Center for State Courts, Western Regional Office. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07750.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07750.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Criminal cases disposed of at the general jurisdiction trial court level in United States metropolitan courts in the 1976 fiscal or calendar year.
Data Types: administrative records data
Sample: The survey consists of 21 samples, each of which contains data on 400 to 600 individual criminal cases. These cases were either systematically or randomly selected from the set of cases finally disposed of at the general jurisdiction trial court level in either the 1976 fiscal or calendar year.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.