National Jail Census, 1978 (ICPSR 7737)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The National Jail Census was conducted in early 1978 by the United States Census Bureau for the Bureau of Justice Statistics. The census was taken of all locally administered county and municipal jails with the authority to hold prisoners for more than 48 hours. Data are presented for jails in 45 states. Excluded are Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Information includes jail population by legal status, age and sex of prisoners, maximum sentence, admissions and releases, available services, structure and capacity, expenditure, and employment.
Series: National Jail Census Series
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1978. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 4th ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07737.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07737.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All locally administered county and municipal jails in the United States with authority to hold prisoners for more than 48 hours.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
The data collection instrument is available only in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR.
self-enumerated questionnaires, and personal interviews
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS data definition statements have been added to this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~14 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)