Physical Violence in American Families, 1976 (ICPSR 7733)
Principal Investigator(s): Straus, Murray A., University of New Hampshire; Gelles, Richard J., University of Rhode Island
For this study, a nationwide sample of 960 males and 1,183 females were interviewed to examine methods of conflict resolution within the family. Information was gathered regarding the following areas: resolution of conflicts between spouses and between parents and children, including detailed information on the development of conflicts resulting in violence, resolution of conflicts in the respondent's childhood family, family power structure, marital closeness and stability, personality, and stress factors.
These data are available to the general public.
Straus, Murray A., and Richard J. Gelles. Physical Violence in American Families, 1976. ICPSR07733-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1994. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07733.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07733.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Families in the United States in 1976.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: National probability sample.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~29 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)