State and Local Prosecution and Civil Attorney Systems, 1976 (ICPSR 7674)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The purpose of this data collection was to establish a current name and address listing of state and local government prosecution and civil attorney agencies and to obtain information about agency function, jurisdiction, employment, funding, and attorney compensation arrangements. The data for each agency include information for any identifiable local police prosecutors. Excluded from the study were private law firms that perform legal services periodically for a government and are compensated by retainers and fees. Variables cover agency functions and jurisdiction, agency funding, number and types of employees, compensation and employment restrictions for attorneys, agency's geographical jurisdiction, number of branch offices, and number of branch office employees.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. STATE AND LOCAL PROSECUTION AND CIVIL ATTORNEY SYSTEMS, 1976. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07674.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07674.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All state, county, and municipal government agencies engaged in prosecution or in providing civil legal services to the government.
Data Types: survey data
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)