Expenditure and Employment Data for the Criminal Justice System: CJEE Longitudinal File, 1971-1979, 1985, 1988 (ICPSR 7636)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This survey provides criminal justice expenditure and employment (CJEE) data for all states and counties in the United States, certain municipal governments, and Puerto Rico. Specific variables include full- and part-time employees and payroll, expenditures for current operations, capital outlay, equipment, construction, land, and contributions to employee benefits, and intergovernmental expenditures paid to state and local governments. Sectors represented in this survey include police protection, judicial, legal services and prosecution, public defense, corrections, and other criminal justice services.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: CJEE LONGITUDINAL FILE, 1971-1979, 1985, 1988. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 6th ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1996. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07636.v6
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07636.v6
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional system, criminal justice system, employment, federal government, full time employment, government expenditures, law enforcement, local government, part time employment, state government, wages and salaries
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: All state and county governments, all municipal and township governments, and special campus police of public universities and colleges in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data, and survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This collection was originally titled EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: LONGITUDINAL FILE, 1971-1979, 1985, 1988. (2) Data for 1971-1979, 1985, and 1988 of this collection were also released as EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: CJEE INDIVIDUAL UNITS FILE AND ESTIMATES FILE, 1971-1979 (ICPSR 7618), EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: CJEE INDIVIDUAL UNITS FILE AND ESTIMATES FILE, 1985 (ICPSR 8650), and EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM: CJEE INDIVIDUAL UNITS AND ESTIMATES FILE, 1988 (ICPSR 9446). (3) Data were not collected for Puerto Rico nor campus police after 1979.
Sample: All 50 state governments, a sample of local governments within each state, and special campus police of public universities and colleges. The sample includes all county governments, all municipalities with populations of 10,000 or more, a probability sample of cities and townships with populations of less than 10,000 selected according to the relative size of annual expenditures. Each case was assigned a weight based on its probability of selection.
official state and local records, self-enumerated forms, BUDGET OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, FISCAL YEAR 1987, APPENDIX, and BUDGET OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, FISCAL YEAR 1990
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 1996-11-21 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~24 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)