National Corrections Reporting Program, 1994 (ICPSR 6881)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The purpose of this study was to gather data on prisoners entering and leaving the custody or supervision of state and federal authorities. Data refer to prisoners who were admitted to prison, released from prison, or released from parole in 1994. Variables include incarceration history, current offenses, and total time served. Background information on individuals includes year of birth, sex, age, race, Hispanic origin, and educational attainment.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
These data are available to the general public.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Corrections Reporting Program, 1994. ICPSR06881-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-04-23. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06881.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06881.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (juveniles), correctional system, demographic characteristics, federal correctional facilities, jail inmates, juvenile offenders, national crime statistics (USA), offenders, offenses, parole, prison inmates, probation, state correctional facilities
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All people admitted to prison, released from prison, or discharged from parole in 1994 in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: All persons incarcerated in state prisons in 39 states, the Federal Prison System, the California Youth Authority, and the District of Columbia.
official prison records of prisoner population movement
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-01-13
- 2010-04-23 The entire NCRP series is being re-released in restricted format.
- 2006-03-30 File SP6881.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-03-30 File SA6881.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-03-30 File CB6881.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~68 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.