Long-Range Planning Survey of Federal Judges, 1992: [United States] (ICPSR 6544)
Principal Investigator(s): Federal Judicial Center
In October 1992, the Federal Judicial Center surveyed nearly all federal judges on a wide range of issues of concern to the federal courts. The survey was conducted for two purposes: to inform the deliberations of the Judicial Conference Committee on Long-Range Planning and to provide information for the Center's congressionally-mandated study of structural alternatives for the federal courts of appeals. Although the purposes were distinct, the areas of interest overlapped, resulting in a survey instrument that addressed many issues at differing levels of detail. The survey questions dealt with the nature and severity of problems in the federal courts, structure and relationships, jurisdiction size and resources, administration and governance, discovery, juries, criminal sanctions, deciding appeals in the current system, availability and compensation of counsel, and methods of civil dispute resolution.
These data are freely available.
Federal Judicial Center. Long-Range Planning Survey of Federal Judges, 1992: [United States]. ICPSR06544-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1995. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06544.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06544.v1
This study was funded by:
- Federal Judicial Center
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: appellate courts, criminal justice system, federal courts, judges
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Federal judges in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Frequencies are available in hardcopy form only upon request from ICPSR.
Sample: A data collection instrument was mailed to anyone who was, as of October 1992, an active or senior circuit or district judge, a judge on the Court of International Trade or the Court of Federal Claims, a bankruptcy judge, or a full-time or part-time magistrate judge.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-12-20
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)