Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2004 (ICPSR 4348)
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from district and appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of a case: filing and termination. The termination data contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data contain only filing information.
One or more files in this data collection have special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the restricted-use data. A login is required to apply.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Any public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2004. ICPSR04348-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2011-11-11. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04348.v3
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04348.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Geographic Coverage: United States
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Federal Court Cases data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
computerized court records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
Original ICPSR Release: 2005-11-04
- 2015-09-11 Six data files were created with docket numbers blanked for Parts 1, 3, and 5, and with docket numbers containing original values for Parts 2, 4, and 6.
- 2013-01-14 Docket numbers are 9-filled as requested by the PI.
- 2011-11-11 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2006-03-17 Two additional data files were added with SAS and SPSS setup files and an updated codebook for each.
- List all ~23 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.