National Judicial Reporting Program, 2002: [United States] (ICPSR 4203)
This data collection provides detailed information on the sentences and characteristics of convicted felons based on data collected from state courts. The 2002 survey was based on a sample of 300 counties selected to be nationally representative. The collection contains sociodemographic information such as age, race, and sex of the felon. Types of offenses committed include homicide, rape, and robbery. Data can be analyzed at the national level or by individual counties.
One or more files in this data collection have special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the restricted-use data. A login is required to apply.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Any public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Judicial Reporting Program, 2002: [United States]. ICPSR04203-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-04-05. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04203.v3
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04203.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: assault, auto theft, burglary, case processing, convictions (law), counties, demographic characteristics, drug law offenses, felony courts, felony offenses, homicide, larceny, manslaughter, murder, rape, robbery, sentencing, state courts
Geographic Coverage: United States
The data were compiled by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
official court records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2005-04-01
- 2011-03-08 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2007-04-05 At the principal investigator's request, an errata page has been added after the title page of the codebook.
- 2005-09-30 At the principal investigator's request, all values in variable V6, JURISDICTION ID: SECTOR have been recoded to a value of 3 (Courts).
- 2005-09-12 A descriptive sentence for variable 59 has been slightly altered.
- 2005-08-18 Variable labels for variables 57 and 59 have been changed at the principal investigator's request.
- 2005-07-29 Descriptive sentences for variables 57 and 59 have been added to the codebook at the principal investigator's request.
- List all ~15 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.