Law Enforcement Agency Identifiers Crosswalk [United States], 2000 (ICPSR 4082)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Researchers have long been able to analyze crime and law enforcement data at the individual agency level (see UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA: [UNITED STATES] [ICPSR 9028]) and at the county level (see, for example, UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: COUNTY-LEVEL DETAILED ARREST AND OFFENSE DATA, 1997 [ICPSR 2764]). However, analyzing crime data at the intermediate level, the city or place, has been difficult. To facilitate the creation and analysis of place-level data, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) and the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD) created the Law Enforcement Agency Identifiers Crosswalk. The crosswalk file was designed to provide geographic and other identification information for each record included in either the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) files or BJS's Directory of Law Enforcement Agencies. The main variables for each record are the UCR originating agency identifier number, agency name, mailing address, Census Bureau's government identification number, UCR state and county codes, and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) state, county, and place codes. These variables make it possible for researchers to take police agency-level data, combine them with Bureau of the Census and BJS data, and perform place-level, jurisdiction-level, and government-level analyses.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Law Enforcement Agency Identifiers Crosswalk [United States], 2000. ICPSR04082-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04082.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04082.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: administrative records data
(1) Federal Bureau of Investigation files, (2) CENSUS OF STATE AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES (CSLLEA), 2000: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 3484), (3) custom version of the Governments Integrated Directory (GID) supplied by the Census Bureau, (4) FIPS 55 file, (5) Census Bureau gazetteer files for 2000, and (6) LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IDENTIFIERS CROSSWALK [UNITED STATES], 1996 (ICPSR 2876)
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-09-16
- View publications for the study (~22)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)