Principal Investigator(s): Fox, James Alan, Northeastern University, College of Criminal Justice
These data provide incident-level information on criminal homicides including location, circumstances, and method of offense, as well as demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators and the relationship between the two. The data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program.
These data are freely available.
Fox, James Alan. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS [UNITED STATES]: SUPPLEMENTARY HOMICIDE REPORTS, 1976-2001. Compiled by Northeastern University, College of Criminal Justice. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2004. doi:10.3886/ICPSR03989.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03989.v1
This survey was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: individuals
Universe: Homicides in the United States from January 1976 through December 2001.
Data Types: event/transaction data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
records from police and sheriff's departments
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-05-05
- 2006-01-18 File SP3989.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File SA3989.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB3989.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.