Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-2000 (ICPSR 3667)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection provides annual data on prisoners under a sentence of death and prisoners whose offense sentences were commuted or vacated during the period 1973-2000. Information is supplied for basic sociodemographic characteristics such as age, sex, education, and state of incarceration. Criminal history data include prior felony convictions for criminal homicide and legal status at the time of the capital offense. Additional information is available for inmates removed from death row by yearend 2000 and for inmates who were executed.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Capital Punishment in the United States, 1973-2000. ICPSR03667-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-11-05. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03667.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03667.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All inmates on death row since 1972 in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
The inmate identification numbers were assigned by the Bureau of the Census and have no purpose outside this data collection.
official prison records
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2003-02-28
- 2008-11-05 Minor changes have been made to the metadata.
- 2008-10-30 All parts have moved to restricted access and are available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)