National Survey of DNA Crime Laboratories, 2001 (ICPSR 3550)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This study contains data from a survey of publicly operated forensic crime labs that perform deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing. The survey was a follow-up to the initial survey of DNA crime labs in 1998 (ICPSR study 2879). The survey included questions about each lab's budget, personnel, procedures, equipment, and workloads in terms of known subject cases, unknown subject cases, and convicted offender DNA samples. The survey was sent to 135 forensic laboratories, and 124 responses were received from individual public laboratories and headquarters for statewide forensic crime laboratory systems. The responses included 110 publicly funded forensic laboratories that performed DNA testing in 47 states.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL SURVEY OF DNA CRIME LABORATORIES, 2001. ICPSR version. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2003. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03550.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03550.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All known DNA crime laboratories in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2003-11-10
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)