Principal Investigator(s): United States Sentencing Commission
This collection contains information on federal criminal cases sentenced under the Sentencing Guidelines and Policy Statements of the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984. The data files include all cases received by the United States Sentencing Commission that had sentencing dates between October 1, 1999, and September 30, 2000, and were assessed as constitutional. Constitutionality compares each case's sentencing date, circuit, district, and judge to provide uniformity in reporting the cases. In 1999, the United States Sentencing Commission added more variables from its databases to this collection, so the data are now provided in two files. Part 1, Main Data File, includes the most important variables for each case, such as defendant's age, criminal history points, armed criminal status, case disposition, sentence, and fines applied. Part 2, Supplemental Data File, contains additional variables involving multiple guideline computation and count-based statutes. For a more detailed discussion of the two files, users should consult the codebook.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Sentencing Commission. Monitoring of Federal Criminal Sentences, 2000. ICPSR03496-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2002. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03496.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03496.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All cases received by the United States Sentencing Commission that had sentencing dates between October 1, 1999, and September 30, 2000, and were assessed as constitutional.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the 1999 data, ICPSR archives MONITORING OF FEDERAL CRIMINAL SENTENCES under a new study number for each year of data. Data for the years 1993-1998 are archived under study number 9317.
Federal Probation Sentence and Supervision Information System, presentence reports, judgments of conviction, statements of reasons, plea agreements, and guideline worksheets
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2002-10-24
- 2014-06-25 All parts are being moved from restricted access to public access.
- 2011-04-11 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2006-01-18 File CB3496.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- List all ~19 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)