Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The objective of the Survey of Jails in Indian Country is to gather data on all adult and juvenile jail facilities and detention centers in Indian country, which is defined for purposes of this collection as reservations, pueblos, rancherias, and other Native American and Alaska Native communities throughout the United States. The survey, a complete enumeration of all 68 confinement facilities operated by tribal authorities or the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), provides data on number of inmates and facility characteristics and needs. Variables describe each facility, including rated capacity, number of adult inmates, number of juveniles held, number of inmates held by sex and conviction status on June 29, number of admissions and discharges in the last 30 days, number of inmate deaths, the peak population during June, facility crowding, and renovation and building plans.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS IN INDIAN COUNTRY [UNITED STATES], 2001. Conducted by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2003. doi:10.3886/ICPSR03472.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03472.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All adult and juvenile jail facilities and detention centers in Indian country in the United States in 2001.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2003-02-13
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)