Multiple Cause of Death, 1998 (ICPSR 3306)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
This data collection includes information about the cause of all recorded deaths occurring in the United States, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas during 1998. Data are provided concerning underlying causes of death, multiple conditions that caused the death, place of death, residence of the deceased (e.g., region, division, state, county), whether an autopsy was performed, and the month and day of the week of the death. In addition, data are supplied on the sex, race, age, marital status, education, usual occupation, and origin or descent of the deceased. In addition to the combined Territory Public-Use file (Part 2), a subset based on state of occurrence has been created for Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and Northern Marianas. Mortality detail data for 1998 also can be extracted from this file. The mortality detail records are contained in the first 159 positions of these multiple cause records. The multiple cause of death fields were coded from the MANUAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL STATISTICAL CLASSIFICATION OF DISEASES, INJURIES, AND CAUSE-OF-DEATH, NINTH REVISION (ICD-9), VOLUMES 1 AND 2.
Series: Multiple Cause of Death Series
These data are freely available.
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. MULTIPLE CAUSE OF DEATH, 1998. ICPSR03306-v2. Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics [producer], 2000. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-04-13. doi:10.3886/ICPSR03306.v2
Persistent URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03306.v2
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: All recorded deaths occurring in the United States, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas during 1998.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Effective with the 1998 data, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana's records are included in the Territories' Public-Use File (Part 2). (2) The data year is no longer located in positions 1-2 of the record. A four-digit data year is now located in positions 115-118. (3) The geographic codes were changed effective with the 1996 data to reflect the results of the 1990 Census. (4) Per agreement with NCHS, ICPSR distributes the data files and text of the technical documentation for this collection as prepared by NCHS. (5) The codebook, frequencies, record layout, appendices, and geographical code outlines are provided by ICPSR as Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
United States Standard Certificate of Death
Original ICPSR Release: 2002-03-29
- 2007-04-13 Setup files have been created in addition to subsets for each territory.
- 2006-01-18 File CB3306.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- List all ~98 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
Use any of the notification links to add this study to your RSS feed; you will then receive notification if the study is substantively updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.