Uniform Crime Reports [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-1999 (ICPSR 3180)
Principal Investigator(s): Fox, James Alan
These data provide incident-level information on criminal homicides including location, circumstances, and method of offense, as well as demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators and the relationship between the two. The data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program.
These data are freely available.
Fox, James Alan. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS [UNITED STATES]: SUPPLEMENTARY HOMICIDE REPORTS, 1976-1999. ICPSR version. Boston, MA: Northeastern University, College of Criminal Justice [producer], 2001. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03180.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03180.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicides in the United States from January 1976 through December 1999.
Data Types: event/transaction data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
records from police and sheriff's departments
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-07-16
- 2006-03-30 File CB3180.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- View publications for the study (~29)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)