Pennsylvania Sentencing Data, 1996 (ICPSR 3062)
Principal Investigator(s): Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing
The Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing is a legislative agency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Commission develops sentencing guidelines for judges to use when sentencing felony and misdemeanor offenses. The judges report sentences to the Commission on a Guideline Sentence Form. This data collection reflects all felonies and misdemeanors reported to the Commission that were sentenced during calendar year 1996. The data are contained in two files. Part 1, Records Data, provides information on each offender, including rudimentary demographic characteristics and prior offense history. Part 2, Offense Data, contains information on each offense, including the statutory citation for the offense, the Offense Gravity Score assigned by the Commission, the offender's Prior Record Score, and the sentence given the offender.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
A downloadable version of data for this study is available however, certain identifying information in the downloadable version may have been masked or edited to protect respondent privacy. Additional data not included in the downloadable version are available in a restricted version of this data collection. For more information about the differences between the downloadable data and the restricted data for this study, please refer to the codebook notes section of the PDF codebook. Users interested in obtaining restricted data must complete and sign a Restricted Data Use Agreement, describe the research project and data protection plan, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing. Pennsylvania Sentencing Data, 1996. ICPSR03062-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03062.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03062.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Pennsylvania, United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All felony and misdemeanor offenses sentenced in Pennsylvania in 1996.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The two data files should not be used separately for analysis. The data files can be linked using the Commission ID (CID). In the Records Data (Part 1), the CID is unique. In the Offense Data (Part 2), one CID can have multiple offenses. (2) The unit of analysis is determined by the user but could include: (a) Judicial proceeding: a proceeding in which all offenses for which the offender was convicted were pending before the court for sentencing at the same time. (b) Transaction: a crime or crimes committed by an offender at a single time or in temporally continuous actions that were part of the same episode, event, or incident, or which were conspiracy and the offense that was conspired to. There can be multiple transactions within one judicial proceeding. (c) Offense: there can be multiple offenses within one transaction. (3) These data represent the public version of the 1996 sentencing data for which three confidential variables (offender's name, Social Security number, judge's name) were removed from the dataset before submission to ICPSR and three additional variables (docket number, offense tracking number, and state identification number) were blanked by ICPSR. Information on obtaining the full dataset is provided in the codebook. (4) The codebook and data collection instruments are provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: All cases reported on Guideline Sentence Forms sent to the Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing by judges.
Guideline Sentence Forms submitted by judges to the Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-12-04
- 2006-03-30 File CB3062.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)