Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base Appellate and Civil Pending Data, 2014 (ICPSR 29281)
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from district and appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of appellate and civil cases: filing and termination. The termination data (archived as separate data collections each year) contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data (archived as this data collection and updated annually) contain only filing information on the most recent pending cases. The unit of analysis for the appellate and civil pending data is the case.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base Appellate and Civil Pending Data, 2014. ICPSR29281-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-12-16. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR29281.v4
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR29281.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Geographic Coverage: United States
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases Integrated Data Base is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
Starting with year 2008, the appellate pending and civil pending data are archived as a separate data collection.
computerized court records
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2010-12-13
- 2015-12-16 The collection is updated to reflect 2014 pending data.
- 2014-03-18 The collection is updated to reflect 2012 pending data.
- 2013-02-12 The collection was updated to reflect 2011 pending data.
- 2012-01-12 2012-01-11 The data collection was revised to include appellate and civil cases pending as of the fiscal year ending September 30, 2010. Previous data was replaced with these data.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)