National Survey of DNA Crime Laboratories, 1998 (ICPSR 2879)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This study reports findings from a survey of publicly operated forensic crime labs that perform deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) testing. The survey includes questions about each lab's budget, personnel, workload, and operating policies and procedures. Data were obtained from 108 out of 120 estimated known labs, including all statewide labs.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL SURVEY OF DNA CRIME LABORATORIES, 1998. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02879.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02879.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All known DNA crime laboratories in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook and data collection instrument are provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-11-02
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.