State Court Organization, 1998: [United States] (ICPSR 2854)
Principal Investigator(s): National Center for State Courts
This data collection provides detailed comparative information about the structure, policies, and procedures of statewide trial and appellate court systems for the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico as of July 1, 1998. Information gathered includes the number of courts and judges, judicial selection, governance of court systems, including judicial funding, administration, staffing, and procedures, jury qualifications and verdict rules, and processing and sentencing procedures of criminal cases.
These data are freely available.
National Center for State Courts. State Court Organization, 1998: [United States]. ICPSR02854-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02854.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02854.v1
This study was funded by:
- State Justice Institute (98-BJ-CX-K002)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Statewide appellate and trial courts in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
Data Types: administrative records data, survey data
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-06-05
- 2006-03-30 File CB2854.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)