Principal Investigator(s): Hannaford, Paula L.; Hans, Valerie P.; Munsterman, G. Thomas
These data were collected in conjunction with an evaluation of the Arizona court reform effective December 1, 1995, to permit jurors in civil cases to discuss the evidence prior to deliberations. The datasets consist of survey responses by judges, jurors, attorneys, and litigants in all civil cases conducted in Maricopa, Pima, Mohave, and Yavapai counties in Arizona between June 15, 1997, and January 31, 1998. Civil cases in the participating courts were randomly assigned to one of two experimental conditions: (1) jurors were told they could discuss the evidence prior to deliberation according to Rule 39(f) of the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure, or (2) jurors were told they could not discuss the evidence per the previous admonition. The datasets contain survey responses under both conditions. Part 1, Case Characteristics Data, contains information from two questionnaires completed by judges about the lawsuit, the parties, the trial procedures, and the case outcome. The data in Part 2, Juror Questionnaire Data, cover jurors' views regarding the complexity of the case, the importance of witnesses and testimonies, and attorneys' performances. The variables in Part 3, Attorney Questionnaire Data, offer information on attorneys' opinions of the jurors, the opposing counsel, and the verdict. Part 4, Litigant Questionniare Data, consists of litigants' views regarding the jurors and the verdict. Demographic data include respondents' gender, age, race, income, and job status.
These data are freely available.
Hannaford, Paula L., Valerie P. Hans, and G. Thomas Munsterman. Juror Discussions About Evidence, 1997-1998: [Arizona]. ICPSR02687-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02687.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02687.v1
This study was funded by:
- Arizona State Justice Agency (SJI-96-12A-B-181)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: All civil jury trials in Arizona.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: All civil jury trials conducted in Maricopa, Pima, Mohave, and Yavapai counties in Arizona from June 15, 1997, to January 31, 1998.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-06-02
- 2006-03-30 File CB2687.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)