Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection tabulates the number of persons convicted of felonies in state courts and describes their sentences. Data were collected from state courts and state prosecutors in 344 counties of the United States. The collection contains sociodemographic information such as age, race, and sex of the felon. Types of offenses committed include homicide, rape, and robbery. Adjudication variables referring to the process between arrest and sentencing are also a part of this dataset. Data can be analyzed at the national level or by individual counties.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Judicial Reporting Program, 1996. ICPSR02660-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2011-04-08. doi:10.3886/ICPSR02660.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02660.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, assault, auto theft, burglary, case processing, convictions (law), counties, demographic characteristics, drug law offenses, felony courts, felony offenses, homicide, larceny, manslaughter, murder, rape, robbery, sentencing, state courts
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Sentenced felons in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Compiled by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: A two-stage stratified cluster sampling design was employed. At the first stage, 344 counties were selected from the 3,195 total counties in the nation. At the second stage, a systematic sample of felons sentenced for murder/nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, felony larceny/motor vehicle theft, drug trafficking, and other offenses were selected from each county's official records.
official court records
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-05-12
- 2011-04-08 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2001-03-27 Column locations of variables were corrected in the codebook to reflect the column locations in the data file. Frequencies in the codebook were also corrected.
- 2000-12-14 An errata page supplied by the principal investigator in reference to erroneous data for Dade County, FL, Pinellas County, FL, Washoe County, NV, Santa Clara, CA, and Otero County, CO, has been added to the codebook.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)