Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 1997 (ICPSR 2598)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics; United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Prisons
Conducted by the Bureau of the Census, this survey provides nationally representative data on state prison inmates and sentenced federal inmates held in federally owned and operated facilities. Through personal interviews from June-October 1997, inmates in both state and federal prisons provided information about their current offense and sentence, criminal history, family background and personal characteristics, prior drug and alcohol use and treatment programs, gun possession and use, gang membership, and prison activities, programs, and services. Prior surveys of state prison inmates, called SURVEY OF INMATES OF STATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES, were conducted in 1974, 1979, 1986, and 1991 (see ICPSR 7811, 7856, 8711, and 6086). Sentenced federal prison inmates were first interviewed in 1991 (see SURVEY OF INMATES OF FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES, 1991 [ICPSR 6037]). The federal data are combined with the state data in this collection. Part 1, Numeric Data, consists of numerically-coded responses, while Part 2, Alphanumeric Data, contains free-field responses to "Specify, Other" questions in ASCII text form.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access. (How to apply.)
A downloadable version of data for this study is available however, certain identifying information in the downloadable version may have been masked or edited to protect respondent privacy. Additional data not included in the downloadable version are available in a restricted version of this data collection. For more information about the differences between the downloadable data and the restricted data for this study, please refer to the codebook notes section of the PDF codebook. Users interested in obtaining restricted data must complete and sign a Restricted Data Use Agreement, describe the research project and data protection plan, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics, and United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Prisons. Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 1997. ICPSR02598-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02598.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02598.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (041261)
- United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Prisons
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (adults), corrections, criminal histories, drug abuse, HIV, inmate classification, inmate deaths, inmate populations, inmate programs, inmates, offenses, prison conditions, substance abuse, treatment programs
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Inmates in state and federal prisons in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Compiled by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-06-01
- 2006-03-30 File CB2598.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2002-03-05 The codebook for this collection is now available with clarified descriptions of Variables r26 and r27 in Part 1, Numeric Data.
- View publications for the study (~117)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)