Inventory of Data Elements in State and Federal Corrections Information Systems, 1998 (ICPSR 2575)
Principal Investigator(s): Sabol, William J.
This survey summarizes the data elements maintained by state and federal corrections information systems that track adult, sentenced offenders, and assesses the severity of obstacles in reporting statistical information. Two instruments, an Inventory Questionnaire and an Obstacles Survey, were mailed to Departments of Correction in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, and to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The Inventory Questionnaire asked 207 questions about data elements describing offenders, 15 questions about elements describing facility management, and 20 questions about the capabilities of the information system to process data electronically. For some elements, questions were asked to determine if more detailed information (subvalues) about the element existed. The Obstacles Survey asked departments to rate the severity of problems they may encounter when processing requests for statistical information. The items were grouped into five categories: legislative and institutional factors, hardware factors, software factors, staffing factors, and data factors.
These data are freely available.
Sabol, William J. Inventory of Data Elements in State and Federal Corrections Information Systems, 1998. ICPSR02575-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02575.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02575.v1
This study was funded by:
- Association of State Correctional Administrators
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Corrections Program Office
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: adults, correctional facilities, corrections management, information systems, information use, offenders, prison inmates, program evaluation
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: State and federal Departments of Corrections in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
Data Types: survey data
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-03-25
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.