Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS), 1990 (ICPSR 9749)
Alternate Title: Sample Survey of Law Enforcement Agencies
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This survey, the second in the Bureau of Justice Statistics' program on Law Enforcement and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS), presents information on four types of general-purpose law enforcement agencies: state police, local police, special police, and sheriff's departments. Variables include size of the population served by the police or sheriff's department, levels of employment and spending, various functions of the department, average salary levels for uniformed officers, and other matters related to management and personnel.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS), 1990. ICPSR09749-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2012-08-02. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09749.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09749.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, budgets, law enforcement, law enforcement agencies, management, personnel, police departments, statistical data, wages and salaries, workers
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All state, local, special, and sheriff's law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The data map is provided as an ASCII text file, and the codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file.
Sample: All primary general-purpose state police agencies were chosen. All sheriff's departments, local police departments, and special agencies with more than 100 sworn officers were chosen. A stratified random sampling method was used in selecting smaller agencies.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1993-04-03
- 2012-08-02 Short and long form surveys have been added to the codebook.
- 2008-12-05 This study has been updated to reflect full current Hermes product suite, Part 2, which was the SAS data definition statements, has been rolled into Part 1, and the codebook has been rewritten.
- 2007-08-03 Codebook corrections have been made.
- 2004-03-22 Machine-readable documentation converted to PDF.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~35 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)