National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave V, 1980 (ICPSR 9112)
Alternate Title: NYS 1980
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the fifth wave of the National Youth Survey are contained in this collection. The first wave of this survey was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375), the second wave in 1977 (ICPSR 8424), the third wave in 1978 (ICPSR 8506), and the fourth wave in 1979 (ICPSR 8917). For this wave, youths in the United States were interviewed in early 1981 about events and behavior occurring in calendar year 1980. Data are available on the demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents, disruptive events in the home, neighborhood problems, youth aspirations and current successes, normlessness, labeling by parents, friends, and co-workers, perceived disapproval, attitudes toward deviance, exposure and commitment to delinquent peers, sex roles, interpersonal violence, attitudes toward sexual violence, pressure for substance abuse by peers, drug and alcohol use, and victimization.
These data are freely available.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave V, 1980. ICPSR09112-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-09-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09112.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09112.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (78-JN-AX-0003)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (82-IJ-CX-0011, 83-IJ-CX-0063)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, victimization, young adults, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youths in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: Users are reminded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that these data are to be used solely for statistical analysis and reporting of aggregated information and not for the investigation of specific individuals or treatment facilities.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-05-04
- 2008-09-10 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~164 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)