Expenditure and Employment Data for the Criminal Justice System [United States]: CJEE Extracts File, 1984 (ICPSR 9162)
These criminal justice expenditure and employment (CJEE) data are taken from a special compilation of sources available from the Census Bureau's Annual Surveys of Governments, Finance Statistics and Employment Statistics. Levels of government covered are federal, state, county, municipal, and towns and townships. Information is included on total employment, total police protection, police protection with arrest powers, other police protection, judicial-legal employment, corrections employment, total expenditures, police protection expenditures, judicial-legal expenditures, and corrections expenditures. Types of expenditures include direct current, capital outlay, equipment, and intergovernmental. Types of employment include total, full-time, part-time, and full-time equivalent.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM [UNITED STATES]: CJEE EXTRACTS FILE, 1984. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1998. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09162.v2
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09162.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional system, criminal justice system, employment, federal government, full time employment, government expenditures, law enforcement, local government, part time employment, state government, wages and salaries
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Website. (2) This collection was originally titled EXPENDITURE AND EMPLOYMENT DATA FOR THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM [UNITED STATES]: EXTRACT FILE, 1984.
Sample: Larger governments were selected with certainty. Smaller governments were selected using probability sampling based on a ratio of governmental expenditures or indebtedness to the total expenditures and indebtedness of all noncertainty governments in specified groups.
United States Bureau of the Census's Annual Surveys of Governments, Finance Statistics and Employment Statistics
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-12-15
- 1998-04-20 The data were reprocessed to correct errors and column locations, and the file is now available in a new logical record length version. In addition, the SPSS data definition statements and codebook have been edited and replaced, the codebook has been converted to a PDF file, and SAS data definition statements have been prepared.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.