Federal Justice Statistics Program Data Series
Investigator(s): Bureau of Justice Statistics
Data in this collection examine the processing of federal offenders. The Cases Terminated files (Parts 1-3 and 25-28) contain information about defendants in criminal cases filed in the United States Federal District Court and terminated in the calendar year indicated. Defendants in criminal cases may either be individuals or corporations, and there is one record for each defendant in each case terminated. Information on court proceedings, date the case was filed, date the case was terminated, most serious charge, and reason for termination are included. The Docket and Reporting System files (Parts 4-7 and 31-34) include information on suspects in investigative matters that took an hour or more of a United States Attorney's time with one of the following outcomes: (1) the United States Attorney declined to prosecute, (2) the case was filed in Federal District Court, or (3) the matter was disposed by a United States magistrate. Codes for each disposition and change of status are also provided.
The Pretrial Services data (Parts 8 and 22) present variables on the circuit, district, and office where the defendant was charged, type of action, year of birth and sex of the defendant, major offense charge, and results of initial and detention hearings. The Parole Decisions data (Part 9) contain information from various parole hearings such as court date, appeal action, reopening decision, sentence, severity, offense, and race and ethnicity of the defendant. The Offenders Under Supervision files (Parts 15-16 and 37-40) focus on convicted offenders sentenced to probation supervision and federal prisoners released to parole supervision. The Federal Prisoner files (Parts 18 and 20) supply data on when an offender entered and was released from confinement, as well as the amount of time served for any given offense.
Years Produced: Annually.
NACJD has prepared a resource guide for the Federal Justice Statistics Program.
Data in the Series
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Offenders Released From Prison, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Charges Filed Against Defendants in Criminal Cases in District Court, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Arrests and Bookings for Federal Offenses, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Defendants in Federal Criminal Cases - Terminated, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Offenders Admitted to Prison, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Suspects in Federal Criminal Matters, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Criminal Appeals Cases in Courts of Appeals - Terminated, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Offenders in Prison at Year-End, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Suspects in Federal Criminal Matters Concluded, 2014
- Federal Justice Statistics Program: Statuses for Counts of Convictions for Defendants Sentenced Under the Sentencing Reform Act, 2014
View all data in the series (~357)