Principal Investigator(s): Federal Judicial Center
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from district and appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of a case: filing and termination. The termination data contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data contain only filing information.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. Authentication is required to apply for access.
Access to one or more files in this study is restricted. Users interesting in obtaining these data must complete and sign a Restricted Data Use Agreement, describe the research project and data protection plan, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2002 . ICPSR04059-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2012-06-26. doi:10.3886/ICPSR04059.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04059.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Smallest Geographic Unit: county
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Civil Terminations Data -- case, Appellate Terminations Data -- case, Criminal Data -- defendant, Civil Pending Data -- case
Universe: All federal court cases in the United States in 2002.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Federal Court Cases data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
Mode of Data Collection: record abstracts
computerized court records, and administrative records
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-10-08
- 2012-06-26 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-04-29 Data files for Part 3, Criminal Data, 2002, Part 4, Civil Pending Data, 2002, and a Civil Pending Restricted Data, 2002 file have been added to the data collection along with corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files and codebooks in PDF formats.
- 2005-01-07 A restricted data file for Part 1, Civil Terminations, 2002, has been added to the data collection. The public use data file for Part 1 and its corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files have been updated. The codebook has been modified to reflect these changes.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~20 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)