Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2001 (ICPSR 3415)
Principal Investigator(s): Federal Judicial Center
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from 94 district and 12 appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of a case: filing and termination. The termination data contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data contain only filing information. For the appellate and civil data, the unit of analysis is a single case. The unit of analysis for the criminal data is a single defendant.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2001. ICPSR03415-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-09-24. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03415.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03415.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Smallest Geographic Unit: County
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Appellate Data - Case Civil Data - Case Criminal Data - Defendant
Universe: All federal court cases in the United States in 2001.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Federal Court Cases data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Time Method: Cross-sectional
computerized court records, and administrative records
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2002-05-21
- 2015-09-24 Six data files were created with docket numbers blanked for Parts 1, 3, and 5, and with docket numbers containing original values for Parts 2, 4, and 6.
- 2012-06-15 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-01-27 Restricted data files for Part 2, Civil Terminations, 2001, and Part 3, Civil Pending, 2001 have been added to the data collection. The public use data files for Parts 2 and 3 and the corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files have been updated. The codebooks for Parts 2 and 3 have been modified to reflect these changes.
- 2002-06-19 Data for Civil Terminations, 2001 (Part 2), Civil Pending, 2001 (Part 3), Appellate Terminations, 2001 (Part 4), and Appellate Pending, 2001 (Part 5) have been added to this data collection. Corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files and PDF codebooks have also been added.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~42 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)