Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2009 (ICPSR 29661)
Principal Investigator(s): Federal Judicial Center
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from district and appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of a case: filing and termination. The termination data contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data contain only filing information.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
These data are available to the general public.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2009. ICPSR29661-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-08-21. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR29661.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR29661.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Smallest Geographic Unit: county
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Appellate terminations data -- case, Appellate terminations data -- case, Civil terminations data -- case, Civil terminations data -- case, Criminal data -- defendant, Criminal data -- defendant
Universe: All federal court cases in the United States in 2009.
Data Types: administrative records data, event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Federal Court Cases data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
Time Method: Cross-sectional
computerized court records
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2011-02-02
- 2015-08-21 The civil data (Parts 3 and 4) were updated with new data supplied by the principal investigators.
- 2012-11-26 The docket numbers were recoded to 9-fill to protect the confidentiality of individuals involved in the case.
- 2011-11-11 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)