Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Prisons
This survey provides nationally representative data on persons held in federal prisons. The survey was designed to supply information on individual characteristics of prison inmates, such as their current offenses and sentences, criminal histories, prior drug and alcohol use and treatment, gun possession and use, gang membership, and family background. Data on characteristics of victims and on prison activities, programs, and services are provided as well.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Prisons. Survey of Inmates of Federal Correctional Facilities, 1991. ICPSR06037-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06037.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06037.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (adults), corrections, criminal histories, drug abuse, HIV, inmate classification, inmate deaths, inmate populations, inmate programs, inmates, offenses, prison conditions, substance abuse, treatment programs
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All adult inmates in the United States housed in correctional facilities segregated by sex and operated by the federal government.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Part 1, Successful Interview Data, contains two variables, SC3870 and SC3885, that were improperly formatted. These variables are repeated at the end of the dataset with proper formats as variables SC3870R and SC3885R.
Sample: The sample was selected from a universe of 81 facilities for males with a total of 48,166 male inmates and 14 facilities for females with a total of 4,015 female inmates. The design consisted of two stages of sampling: (1) stratifying facilities and selecting one facility per stratum with probability proportional to size, and (2) systematically selecting the inmates within a chosen facility for inclusion in the sample.
Original ICPSR Release: 1994-03-10
- 2006-01-18 File CB6037.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2004-10-01 The SAS data definition statements, formerly released as Parts 2 and 4, have been updated and incorporated with their respective datasets, now Parts 1 and 2. The SPSS data definition statements have been updated as well.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~37 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.