National Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level and Jail-Level Data, 1986 (ICPSR 8871)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection provides annual data on jail populations across the nation and examines the "spillover" effect on local jails resulting from the dramatic growth in federal and state prison populations. These data permit an assessment of the demands placed on correctional resources. Information is available on the number of inmates by sex, race, adult or juvenile status, reason being held, and cause of death.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL AND JAIL-LEVEL DATA, 1986. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08871.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08871.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All locally administered county and municipal jails in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The Census Bureau used a nine-digit Government Identification number to identify each jail uniquely. This variable has been broken up into four different variables. Users of the data will have to combine these four variables in order to identify a particular jail.
Sample: Stratified random sample of local jails based on the 1983 Jail Census.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1988-07-15
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-05-30 SAS and SPSS data definition statements for the logical record length version of the data have been added to this collection, and the codebook was reformatted to reinstate truncated lines.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)