Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level Data, 1996 (ICPSR 6856)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This collection provides annual data on jail populations across the nation and examines the "spillover" effect on local jails resulting from the dramatic growth in federal and state prison populations. These data permit an assessment of the demands placed on correctional resources and provide a comprehensive picture of the adult correctional system and changes that occur within the system. Information is available on the number of inmates by sex, race, and adult or juvenile status. Facility characteristics were collected regarding capacity and average daily population.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1996. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06856.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06856.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All local jails in the United States listed in the NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1993 (ICPSR 6648) with allocation to the strata based on the 1993 average daily population.
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The Census Bureau used a nine-digit Government Identification Number to identify each jail uniquely. This variable has been broken up into four different variables. Users of the data will have to combine these four variables to identify a particular jail. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: A stratified random sample of county or city jurisdictions stratified by average daily population as reported by the NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1993 (ICPSR 6648), and the Annual Survey of Jails, 1996.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-05-11
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2001-10-16 At the request of the principal investigator, the title of this study was changed from National Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level Data, 1996, to Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level Data, 1996, to more accurately reflect the scope of the survey. Corresponding documentation files have been edited to reflect the change in title.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.